VIRTUAL MUSEUM An online collection of Stafford history and artifacts

Lacy House

During the Civil War, Chatham was known as the “Lacy House.”  During this time the house was frequented by Union generals and officials, President Lincoln, Clara Barton, Walt Whitman, and Dr. Mary Walker.  It served as a Union hospital and headquarters.  

Chatham

“Chatham” or “Chatham Manor” is the most significant of Stafford’s colonial homes. Built between 1768 and 1771 by William and Ann Randolph Fitzhugh, it is an historical treasure which spans America’s and Virginia’s Colonial, Revolutionary War, Federal, Antebellum, Civil War / Reconstruction, and Modern periods.

Fleurrys

The original home, the “Fleurrys,” is believed to have been built in the 1700s by the Peyton family.  The large section, visible in this picture, was added to the original house from 1850s to 1860 by the Suttle family.  With the construction of Aquia Towne Center,  the older portion, not visible in this picture,  was moved to the grounds of Aquia Episcopal Church where it is used today for administrative purposes.  

Concord

“Concord,” standing by at least 1730, may be Stafford’s oldest standing dwelling. Shown here prior to preservation, it is being lovingly rehabilitated by Rick and Jerrilynn MacGregor. The MacGregor family purchased the home in the 1850s and lived there through the Civil War.  

Aquia Church

The other parish in Stafford was  Overwharton Parish.   Aquia Church, located in northern Stafford, was probably the third church built on that site between 1751-1757. It is one of the best surviving examples of colonial churches in America and Virginia. Bricks were kilned at the site and Aquia stone accents came from the local island quarry.  

“Negro Hirers and General Agents”

Moncure Daniel Conway’s relatives — R.T. Daniel, W.P. Conway, John C. Moncure, John M. Conway, Henry R. Conway, and John Moncure — are listed as prominent customers by “Negro Hirers and General Agents” firm P.M. Tabb and Sons of Richmond in October 1860.

George Washington

George Washington grew up at Rappahannock Farm (currently known as Ferry Farm).  He lived in this area from age 6 through age 21.  He received a rudimentary education at home and in Fredericksburg. Unlike George Mason (IV), a man of ideas, Washington was inclined to learn from practical experience as a surveyor, militia officer, and regional politician.

George Mason (IV)

George Mason (IV) was a fourth-generation Staffordian, who grew up at Chopawamsic (Chappawamsic) Farm as well as Marlborough Point. His father owned land on both sides of Chopawamsic Creek, near today’s Hilldrup Van and Storage in Stafford as well as land in Prince William County.  

George Brent’s Home “Woodstock” Archaelogical Site

George Brent’s home “Woodstock” was located a stone’s throw from the Brent Cemetery near Route 1 and the Crucifix.  Now it is an archaeological site, that discloses the fireplace hearth.  Due its location close to a marsh and mosquitoes, George Brent and his family rebuilt/relocated “Woodstock” on the hill located in today’s Aquia Harbour.