Stone was quarried by skilled artisans, usually from England or Scotland, along with slave labor. It was shipped by masted ships and sailed down Aquia Creek. Once it reached the Potomac River, the stone traveled north to Washington, D.C. In this picture, by N.C. Wyeth, President Washington and architect James Hoban are inspecting the construction. By 1800 the President’s House was completed. President Adams and his wife were the first to live there, as Washington had passed away.