One of the parish churches in Stafford was the Potomac Church. (The parish in which it sat was first called Potomac Parish. Later it was called Chotank Parish and still later St. Paul’s Parish.) Potomac Church was one of the largest colonial churches and was probably constructed around the time that Stafford was formed, 1664. It was constructed of brick and measured 60 x 80 feet. The church was damaged and burned by the British during the War of 1812. During the American Civil War, many of its bricks were used for the construction of the Potomac Creek Bridge, or the bridge that President Lincoln called, “The Beanpoles and Cornstalks Bridge.” This image, made during the Civil War, shows the ruins of the church at that time.