Mount Hope Baptist Church


Pin It

Third Federal (Union) Occupation and Reconstruction

Mount Hope Baptist Church

Mount Hope’s Sunday School gathered in 1877.  The church, itself,  was established in 1880 and originally worshiped at St. John School House near Brooke.  Land, two miles south of Brooke, was donated for the church.  In 1904, their cornerstone was laid and the church was built closer to Brooke.  Baptisms were usually conducted in nearby Accokeek Run before a pool was installed in the church.  Showing how the black churches were instrumental in education, the Pickle Factory near the church later became known as “Brooke Colored School.”

(Click on pictures to enlarge.)