In 1814, the Capitol looked nothing as it does today. There were two large square Aquia stone buildings, the Senate and House of Representatives, connected by a wooden walkway. During the British burning, the walkway was burned too. Although the center of the Capitol, the Rotunda, was designed in 1793, it took from 1818 until 1824 to complete. The curved walls are Aquia stone and contain bas-reliefs, or shallow carvings.