Aquia Church is an excellent example of combining freestone and brick in colonial Virginia. Built in cruciform design; its eight corners were trimmed with freestone quoins. Keystones of Aquia stone were inserted in the round brick arches of the windows. Doorways were decorated with sandstone instead of the rubbed brick popular in other Tidewater churches. Since it is located close to Aquia Creek, the Aquia stone was probably quarred from Brent’s Island. It was built in 1751, forty years prior to the island’s purchase by L’Enfant.